Men and Women Aren’t the Same- And It’s a Good Thing!

As a woman in today’s society, I hear many things concerning the inequalities between men and women. Some of those being, “Men and women aren’t allowed to do the same things!” “Men and women aren’t treated the same!” And my personal favorite, “Men and women are not equal in this world.” Well, my answer to that is that men and women are not equal. It’s true. Men can physically do things women cannot do, and vice versa. I can’t run as fast as my brother, and I never will. But, I am naturally more emotionally perceptive than my brother, and he is naturally better at thinking more critically than I am. I’m not saying that women cannot think critically, or men cannot be emotionally perceptive, but there are unique and important differences between the genders that should be celebrated! Saying that men and women can- and should- be the same downplays the beautiful role men and women can both play in this world!   
I remember one time I was talking to a good friend and I said something like, “Women are so great. Can you even imagine the world without them?” and she said, “Men are so great. Can you even imagine the world without them?” We laughed and agreed that both women and men are so great and needed! But, today, that message is not expressed. Instead, there is a power competition between the sexes. There is a very prevalent thought today of “If a boy can do it, a girl can do it too.” Or worse, “If a boy can do it, a girl can do it- better.” While acting like they’re fighting for equality between the sexes, many activists actually produce the opposite effect. They tell us women are better than men, so there. Women don’t need men, and they can look out for themselves. What a depressing way to look at the world.
As a Christian, I believe every person has a divine heritage and future. All are created in the image of God and can achieve as much as He has! I truly do believe all people are created equal in potential. Even if there are differences; whether they are physical, mental, or emotional, between the sexes, I think every person has value inside their gender. Both men and women have the perfect toolbox to help the other. There is a divine companionship that can be found between the sexes when we focus on our strengths together rather than our differences and weaknesses alone.
Last semester, I took a class about how we can all strengthen the family as good citizens in the world. The biggest thing I took away from that whole class is that there are very real differences between men and women. Treating them as the same in attributes and strengths doesn’t allow us to need each other. If we can do everything by ourselves, how can we ever have a desire to be stronger? Lifting other people makes us stronger. Being vulnerable and open with other people is hard, but it makes us stronger! There is a strength and friendship that can only come through using someone elses strength to make yours more complete.
Men and women are not the same. They never will be. They are not equal in physical traits or emotional qualities. And I am so glad that’s true. Women and men balance each other out perfectly. That how it was intended by God. Understanding what comes from using our strengths together as unique children of God should make us excited that men and women aren’t the same. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Active Parents Are Essential

Effective Communication in the Family

The Steps of Divorce